09 January 2011

Mom's Waffles

Hmm. I'm getting a little tired of pancakes every Sunday, so here's my mother's waffle recipe.

I'm posting it today, but I'll be making it this week and I may need to do some ingredient shuffling to make it work with what can find.
In particular, I know that I won't stock buttermilk, so I will try it with regular milk and with milk that has been curdled with lemon juice to see if one is better than the other.
Additionally, most shortenings here are made with animal fat and even though I have found a plant fat one, I'm not certain how I feel cooking with shortening again now that I have gone without it for three years. So I will try it with shortening (and weigh it because weight is so much easier) and then with olive oil and see which we prefer.--- Nope, used oil and just fine with it.

Waffles:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2C buttermilk (use whole if you can't find)
  • 2C Gold Medal Flour (405 Flour)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C shortening
Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs, beat in remaining ingredients with rotary beater until smooth. (spoon doesn't do it- I use my immersion blender).
Pour batter from cup into center of hot waffle iron. Bake until steaming stops or you have a whistle on your machine.

Richer Waffles
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 C buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 C Gold Medal Flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C shortening (oil).
Treat same as above.

Okay- I like them better with the buttermilk and I stint the oil by about 50%.

No comments: